Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I thought you knew everthing?

The Kentucky Trip this weekend was a blast!

I was thrilled to be the one to make Cody's cake for his party this past weekend. Granted, it wasn't the cake I wanted to make, but that one split in half due to the cake being very moist. That was a disappointment. The cake disaster set my schedule back severly and we didn't end up leaving the house until one a.m. on Saturday morning to drive there. The kids had went to bed by 8:30 and by the time it was time to travel, neither wanted to sleep until 4:30 by the time we got to Cody's they stayed awake until they took 1/2 hr naps right before the party.



This was the cake that should have been in Kentucky (to the left)....(To the right)This is the cake that actually made it to the party.

The cake drama infuriated me, because I didn't allow some dry time and I threw those cakes in the freezer....they have to freeze to be able to carve...well this dry time allows for some moisture to release itself from the cake. With too much moisture once carved and thawed and no extra flat support in the middle of the cake I was doomed to failure, and when the marshmallow fondant was applied it cracked in the middle and the whole rear end went kapuut! GARRRR!

We made it to the party at the skating rink unscathed with a monster truck cake in hand. Cody was desperate to see the cake the next day, so we had him have a sneak peak about an hour before.

Let me tell you skating was something else all it's own! I haven't been on skates since I was 12 or 13 when the tore down the local skating rink. :0( And to see my brother don a pair of skates, along with my kids, and myself, I was in total shock. My own legs felt like a wobbly jello mold, or maybe that jelly that falls out of the canned hams... I had already told David a million times over I used to be really good...And all my hubby saw me do was wobble from wall to wall and obligingly fall on my uncushioned knees way to many times to count. I do believe I'll be wearing bruises from this excursion for a few more weeks. By the time it was time to cut the cake, I'll be darned if I wasn't getting the hang of things all over again. Since no one knew how the cake was constructed and I was part of this wonderful celebration, I was elected to cut my own cake! This is bad mojo for me...I do not like to hack into my own creations...nope, never, not once! But I did...and I got through it just fine. :0)

We attended a mexican restaurant that is the equivalent of el rodeo here, only their salsa was PERFECTO!!!! But when I got back to Mary's I was just so tired, I crashed while everyone one else had a blast. I continue to feel like I'm still catching up on some sleep.

For the people who were there on Sunday, I'll spare the details, but my uncle had an accident, he slightly got ran over by a mud truck/rail...he's okay, and thank God he is alive and kicking...but geez...I hope that never occurs again! The ride home from Kentucky on Monday was a breeze for the first three hours...the rest of the time, not so much. Then there were kids...and they were AWAKE!!!!

When we finally reached a Starbuck's I was in heaven. I do believe that if there was one in their town, that David and I would consider moving to Kentucky...that way Mary Jo and I could open a cake business. There's only one bakery in that area other than the Walmart and the Kroger...I bet it would do well. David and I lived off of gas station cappucino's and regular coffee...but nothing beats having those espresso's...and it was my own stupid fault for not packing my espresso pot.

The off ramp to our house was a sight for sore eyes...and Grace asked, "Where are we?" And Kevin said, "I thought you knew everything." And to that, through the fit of giggles I was in, I said, "Oh snap!" Sometimes Kevin is brighter than we think...and just as much of a smarty pants as his sister. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here!