Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Peeling Logs....

Either we are lucky or crazy, I haven't figured it out, but David and I have started the front porch project. Apparently Butch (the ex father in law) with the tree service, has had a customer asking for planks out of the wood cut off his land. This leaves lots of scrap half logs and such. :0) David had an idea, and off we go. The idea is to install the log cabin feel into the front porch. :0) I'm stoked, but either we are stone crazy or just happy to be so lucky. We peeled our first log last night. :0)

What? Peeling logs? What are you talking about? It's the removal of bark and cambium layer to get your solid wood, so it will dry, so you can add stains or oils of your choosing. He will be headed over to collect more from the pile this week, so I'm stoked to have what we need to do what we want out front. And for the low low price of some hard labor! LOLOLOL And we all know that David and I aren't immune to that.

Let's see we have had no word from the appraisal report at this time, and I am working on the second layer of paint on the ceiling on the front porch. Mind you it's not what we want to do with the ceiling, but for cost reasons, we are going to leave it as is right now for the time being. This is disappointing but we have no choice. We tried scraping and it's just not a go....we can't get all that paint off those slats, and some are bowed from wear and tear and weather, so we scraped off the big chunks and painted it. For now it'll do, but it will eventually be replaced with drywall if we are here long enough. :0) I am disappointed that we will not be able to make it as "unique" and "finished" as the bathroom at this time, but you do what you can with what you have in some situations and that's all we can do. It's a matter of consequence we are going this far with the front porch to begin with. LOL

So as for now, things are going well. The kids go back to the dentist on Monday, for cleanings and Grace receives two fillings. :0( There's so many projects going on it's crazy. I've decided that December 13th will be the cookie party and that will be held at our home, starting at 10 a.m. and ending whenever. If you plan on attending email me, and let me know. Let me know how many projected dozens of cookies you will be taking with you, and of course, bring your decorative boxes!!!! Also Grace's birthday is the 10th of December, which is going to be a factor in all of this. I have her the weekend of the 6th, so doing a birthday of some sort the 5th, 6th, or 7th is fine with me. Although Kevin will not be with us until the 7th probably. Denise's older daughter Danny will be marrying and Kevin is the ring bearer on the 6th, and I'm not sure how the schedule is working out for that. :0(

Any ideas or opinions just let me know. Thanksgiving will be another one to think about since it will be here so shortly. My family from Kentucky, who didn't make it to the wedding will be up visiting. It's the only time I've got to see them since March. So Thanksgiving plans need to be decided on when and where we are all supposed to be. LOLOLOL Let me know your thoughts and ideas on this as well.

Lots of love to you all, and hope life finds you well!

2 comments:

  1. We peeled the logs for our log home... I remember excitement for the first few, then after that it was just plain work!! Hopefully you won't need that many for the porch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping approximately 20 give or take a few...there are a few with some bad spots that give them character, and most on the ends have been dried and darkened due to being cut and sitting for approximately a month where there was a week of rain, but we can get the stains out I believe.

    Got another one done tonight! Yahoo..gonna start on another soon!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here!